Studio Foundation Collectives

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

comments from Gina K

I'm constantly surprised that there are second semester students who don't seem to have the faintest idea of scale, size, texture... will an assessment test shock them into actually learning this stuff or will they simply be doing some memorization?... I like the idea of having projected images, the whole point of this class is for students to be able to look at / produce visual work and then use the language to bring their understanding of dynamics and elements to focus.

A test could work but we need material that the students can refer to ( more than just a simple list ) . I find that just using the terms during a four hour class is not enough... if we don't use the Stewart text, we need to put together some type of guide with visual examples, we might want to consider a companion web site to the list with examples for each term.

As I mentioned at the meeting, one key to strengthening the culture is to get back to tactile work in class, there is an immediacy in taking a composition and rearranging shapes, turning the composition upside down, cropping with a piece of paper... back to hand and eye...the computer is a poor substitute for this. When class starts, the computers go on, students park themselves in front of the monitor ( often doing e-mail or worse ) , this kills any chances for social interaction and growth by seeing what other's are producing. I'd like to get back to big work areas where students can work together and get back to a culture where ideas are developed and shared as they emerge.

I agree with Sharon that there needs to be more focus on color... I used to spend the last 1/3 of fall semester on a color project... also LOVE the idea of bringing color into drawing and developing curriculum which complements what is going on in drawing class.

As long as were talking about synergy between foundation classes, I would enjoy developing some ideas between VL1 and Form Study... have some ideas regarding structure and conceptual thinking between 2 and 3D , ideas for future projects, I will post this on the blog in the future.

As far as reading, web resources, I'll share my summer reading list soon, presently I'm on a self imposed crash course in Film Editing ( reading every book I can get my hands on ) . Also planning to re -read E H Gombrichs' "Art and Illusion" and "The Hidden Dimension" by Hall .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home